Thank you for your interest in the NewCAL project!
The Newton Center for Active Living (NewCAL) is the name given to the project to address the facility needs of seniors in Newton.
As the project is approaching the end of the Feasibility Study, the design for the NewCAL facility continues to be studied. High level conceptual studies are being done to better understand the design relationship to Newtonville for both an addition/renovation and a new construction option.
Since mid-December, the Working Group met with various Councils and Committees. Video recordings from recent Community Update Meetings on 1/05/21 and 2/22/21 as well as the Design Review Committee meeting on 2/10/21 are available by clicking on the links to the right. Presentations and meeting minutes are available and can be viewed/downloaded by simply clicking on the appropriate tab above and selecting the particular meeting of interest.
Wednesday, March 17, 2021 – City Council Meeting – 7:00PM
Meeting ID: 849 0094 6878 Phone: (646) 558-8656
NewCAL Project Information
The City of Newton’s goal, as an age friendly community, is to build a large, well equipped, comfortable Center to meet the unique interests and needs of older adults, both those currently using the Senior Center and many others who are not. The Center will foster a special sense of community and belonging for this growing group. This facility will be designed to optimize the quality of life for Newton’s older adults and those who support them, through welcoming, respectful and meaningful opportunities that engage, value, and empower older adults to remain independent and important assets in our community.
When spaces within this facility are not programmed for older adults, the goal is to offer well managed, quality and enriching community and multigenerational experiences for all residents of Newton.
1. The Center will be designed to promote and support the Mission Statements of the Senior Services and Parks and Recreation Departments.
2. Spaces within this facility will be clustered and programmed to preserve the wonderful sense of community that exists in the current Senior Center.
3. The Center will be age friendly, welcoming to everyone, and will be designed and programmed to meet the unique needs of seniors as well as the broader community.
4. The Center will ensure safety and accessibility both inside and outside the facility through thoughtful design and operation.
5. The Center will promote social equality and maximize access to programs and services to those who are unserved or underserved.
6. The facility will be environmentally conscious, strive to be carbon neutral, and will leave a legacy of responsible design and operation.
‘To optimize quality of life for older adults and those who support them through the welcoming, respectful and meaningful opportunities that engage and value older people, and empower them to remain independent and to be important assets in our community.”
“The Newton Parks and Recreation Department will provide traditional and innovative Recreation, Leisure and Cultural Activities in a quality environment for all residents of Newton, as well as managing the preservation, maintenance, and enhancement of the natural resources of the City.”
THOUGHTS? QUESTIONS? Email the project team at email@example.com with any questions, comments or concerns or to sign up to receive future correspondence about this project.
Remember to visit this site frequently to keep up with the latest meeting dates, design and presentations.
Note: For information about other area Senior Centers and Senior/Community Centers, please click on this link.
The new facility will be a community asset, so we are looking for feedback from the entire community!