Thank you for your interest in the Newton Center for Active Living (NewCAL) project!
We appreciate your patience while the NewCAL project team works diligently to prepare for our next EBC/ABC meeting. We hope to have the next meeting scheduled soon – so keep an eye open for notices which will be going out in the coming weeks…
January 2019 UPDATE: NewCAL Project Vision Statement
The City of Newton’s goal, as an age friendly community, is to build a large, well equipped, comfortable Center to meet the unique interests and needs of older adults, both those currently using the Senior Center and many others who are not. The Center will foster a special sense of community and belonging for this growing group. This facility will be designed to optimize the quality of life for Newton’s older adults and those who support them, through welcoming, respectful and meaningful opportunities that engage, value, and empower older adults to remain independent and important assets in our community.
When spaces within this facility are not programmed for older adults, the goal is to offer well managed, quality and enriching community and multigenerational experiences for all residents of Newton.
1. The Center will be designed to promote and support the Mission Statements of the Senior Services and Parks and Recreation Departments.
2. Spaces within this facility will be clustered and programmed to preserve the wonderful sense of community that exists in the current Senior Center.
3. The Center will be age friendly, welcoming to everyone, and will be designed and programmed to meet the unique needs of seniors as well as the broader community.
4. The Center will ensure safety and accessibility both inside and outside the facility through thoughtful design and operation.
5. The Center will promote social equality and maximize access to programs and services to those who are unserved or underserved.
6. The facility will be environmentally conscious, strive to be carbon neutral, and will leave a legacy of responsible design and operation.
For your reference, the 10/23/18 EBC+ABC meeting presentation can be found under the Presentations tab. Please continue to check this project website for updates. Also, feel free to email the project team at email@example.com with thoughts and/or questions regarding this project.
Remember to visit here frequently to keep up with the latest information, design, presentations, and meetings.
Also, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Note: For information about other area Senior Centers and Senior/Community Centers, please click on this link.
The new facility will be a community asset, so we are looking for feedback from the entire community!