Thank you for your interest in the Newton Center for Active Living (NewCAL) project!
6/21/19 NewCAL Project Update – The turnout was amazing at the Community update meeting last night! Thank you all so much for attending. Your feedback is so important to this process. Copies of the complete 06/20/19 presentation and the complete list of City owned parcels, have been uploaded to the website.
UPDATE: The next Community Update meeting is scheduled in the Fall – on Thursday, September 19, 2019 at 7:00PM.
The turnout was amazing at the Community update meeting which took place on March 14, 2019! For those who were unable to attend, a copy of the presentation has been posted and is available for viewing. Also, under the “Presentations” tab are the two (2) additional documents which were distributed at the meeting (Additional Information and Proposed Program). Notes from the Community meeting are posted and can be found under the “Community” tab.
Also, note that Working Group Member List is posted under the “Team” tab.
‘To optimize quality of life for older adults and those who support them through the welcoming, respectful and meaningful opportunities that engage and value older people, and empower them to remain independent and to be important assets in our community.”
“The Newton Parks and Recreation Department will provide traditional and innovative Recreation, Leisure and Cultural Activities in a quality environment for all residents of Newton, as well as managing the preservation, maintenance, and enhancement of the natural resources of the City.”
The City of Newton’s goal, as an age friendly community, is to build a large, well equipped, comfortable Center to meet the unique interests and needs of older adults, both those currently using the Senior Center and many others who are not. The Center will foster a special sense of community and belonging for this growing group. This facility will be designed to optimize the quality of life for Newton’s older adults and those who support them, through welcoming, respectful and meaningful opportunities that engage, value, and empower older adults to remain independent and important assets in our community.
When spaces within this facility are not programmed for older adults, the goal is to offer well managed, quality and enriching community and multigenerational experiences for all residents of Newton.
1. The Center will be designed to promote and support the Mission Statements of the Senior Services and Parks and Recreation Departments.
2. Spaces within this facility will be clustered and programmed to preserve the wonderful sense of community that exists in the current Senior Center.
3. The Center will be age friendly, welcoming to everyone, and will be designed and programmed to meet the unique needs of seniors as well as the broader community.
4. The Center will ensure safety and accessibility both inside and outside the facility through thoughtful design and operation.
5. The Center will promote social equality and maximize access to programs and services to those who are unserved or underserved.
6. The facility will be environmentally conscious, strive to be carbon neutral, and will leave a legacy of responsible design and operation.
Community Update Meetings
Update meetings have been scheduled for every three months, with the first meeting on Thursday, March 14, 2019. All meetings will be at 7:00PM at the Newton Education Center at 100 Walnut Street in Room 111 (ground floor). Upcoming meetings are scheduled as follows:
September 19, 2019 — December 19, 2019 — March 19, 2020 — June 18, 2020
THOUGHTS? QUESTIONS? Email the project team at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions, comments or concerns or to sign up to receive future correspondence about this project.
Remember to visit this site frequently to keep up with the latest meeting dates, design and presentations.
Note: For information about other area Senior Centers and Senior/Community Centers, please click on this link.
The new facility will be a community asset, so we are looking for feedback from the entire community!